Membership in the USHPA
Support the aviation sports of hang gliding & paragliding. Learn to fly, be eligible for a rating, donate to our cause, fly with a tandem pilot, or teach others about your passion for personal flight by instructing. Through certification, information resources, specially negotiated insurance, competition sanctioning, partnerships with the FAA, FAI, and NAA, and more - USHPA remains America's only nationally recognized free-flight governing body of these sports.
For new membership, see MEMBERSHIP LEVELS, PRICING & BENEFITS
below. Learn more about our Partner Benefits
or jump to MEMBERSHIP FAQs
||Members - Renew Online (via credit card)
Click this button to renew your USHPA membership (includes a subscription to the magazine)
||Magazine Only Subscription - Renew Online (via credit card)
Click this button to renew your subscription to Hang Gliding & Paragliding magazine. You will be directed to the USHPA online store.
||Print Forms (to mail payment by check)
NOTE: $15 Paper Processing Fee will apply unless new member
Click this button to download and print a PDF of the renewal forms (includes forms for both Members and Magazine Only Subscribers)
MEMBERSHIP LEVELS & SUBSCRIPTIONS 2013
NOTE: Dues Increased January 2013
Subscription - $60/yr - USA | $71/yr - Non-USA (2nd Class Mail) Call 800-616-6888 | Paper
Toying with the idea?
(No Waiver Needed)
Contributing Member - $82/yr USA | $93/yr Non-USA Online | Paper
Not flying but want to stay connected and involved?
Same as above plus:
- Voting Rights for Regional Directors & All-Member Votes - Representation with National Aeronautic Association (NAA), Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), Federation Aeronautique Internationale (FAI), Commission Internationale de vol Libre (CIVL), & Public Lands through the US Department of the Interior)
- "Landing Zone" quarterly e-Newsletter subscription (may Opt-Out)
- Access to the Members Only section of the website (renewal, resources, updates, etc)
- Available to un-rated members only (ratings go inactive if this level is selected)
- No Flying or Tandem Flying Privileges: May not fly as a tandem passenger without a temporary-student rating or above (in the case of T-1 passenger, a Beginner level 1 rating, for T-2, a full Pilot Member Student level 0 rating)
(Must sign Waiver Annually. No flying privileges or passenger flying privileges)
Pilot Member (Full) - $99/yr USA | $120/yr Non-USA Online | Paper
Ready to Connect and to Fly? Get over 16 great incentives!
Same as Subscription and Contributing (minus rating restrictions) plus:
(Must sign Waiver Annually. Not necessary to have pilot ratings to be a Pilot Member, but must be a Pilot Member, Family Member, or Rogallo Member to have ratings.)*
Rogallo Member (Full Instructor) - $294/yr USA | $315/yr Non-USA Online | Paper
Want to be the ultimate Pilot and Connector? Get over 20 great incentives!
Same as all of the above (minus 3LPI) plus:
- Access to Instructor Training Appointments (in the spirit of the late Francis Rogallo, modern-day inventor of the hang glider) - Basic, Advanced, Tandem (T-3), Speed Flying, Instructor and Tandem Administrators)
- Access to Instructor Professional Liability Insurance (IPLI) as negotiated by USHPA provides coverage for all Instructors anywhere they teach around the globe
- Appointed Instructors may accept payment and must issue Temporary 30-Day Memberships for non-member passengers (Tandems) or for students taking solo lessons (levels 0-5)
- All tandem passengers for T-3/Tandem Instructors must be temporary-student or Pilot Member student-rated (level 0 or above)
- Non-US based international instructors are covered by insurance when instructing anywhere, as long as claims for insurance originate in the United States
- Eligible to be listed as a School on this website (see the bottom the school page)
- Free online classifieds listings to buy or sell equipment or promote your event or clinic
- All USHPA Instructors are eligible for ProMotive discounts Instructors may click here
- Use the USHPA logo and professional development resources and tools to enrich your business or programs. Call for 5-item publication quantity discounts
- To upgrade from a Pilot Member to a Rogallo Member - do the math on this form: http://www.ushpa.aero/forms/Form_Upgrade_Membership.pdf
- Learn more about Instructors and Administrators: SOP 12-05
(Must sign Waiver Annually. Not necessary to be an Instructor to be a Rogallo (but it is advised), but must be Rogallo to be an instructor.)*
Family Discount - $18 discount
Pricing Contributor: $64/hr USA | $75/yr Non-USA Pricing Pilot: $81/yr USA | $102/yr Non-USA Pricing Rogallo: $276/yr USA | $297/yr Non-USA | Online | Paper
Birds of a feather fly and save together!
Same as the corresponding Full membership (Contributor, Pilot, or Rogallo), minus the magazine:
- Peace of mind in being "green" and accepting one magazine per residence
- Read the magazine as it's published online
(Must be living in the same household with another Full member to be eligible for the discount. Must sign Waiver separately from Full member. Multiple Family Discounts may be assigned to one Full Member.)*
Want to do more? Donate today! USHPA is a non-profit 501(c)(3) exempt organization. In many cases, depending on the state you reside, your donation from 50 to 100% can be deducted from your taxes in a fiscal year. Donations to our General Fund support the production of the Magazine, Safety Awareness Campaign, Public Relations and Marketing to support promotion of our sports, Awards Production, Operating Expenses, Instructor and Chapter Program Support, and other very important processes of the USHPA business and operations. Also, we're accepting volunteers for technology projects and interns in Colorado Springs for marketing & program support.Call (800-616-6888) or email us (communications[at]ushpa.aero) to give today!
USHPA matches up to $500 of renewal donations to the Foundation For Free Flight (FFF), a partner non-profit organization promoting and preserving free flight. Once a fundraising arm of the US Hang Gliding Association, now to include Paragliding, the Foundation For Free Flight continues to fund projects that align with a similar mission as USHPA, to preserve hang gliding and paragliding in the United States. Through funding of programs and projects like General Fund, Site Preservation Fund, Safety and Education Fund, Competition Funds, Targeted Funds, and other preservation and granting efforts, the FFF creates a culture of support through its all-volunteer staff and board. The USHPA matches dollar-for-dollar up to $500 per member during the USHPA renewal donations appropriated to the FFF. An investment in the FFF is an investment in the future of our aviation sports, and we are a proud partner with them. Online at: www.foundationforfreeflight.org
USHPA supports The Cloudbase Foundation by donation support via the renewal process (online and paper) for members. Since 2001, The Cloudbase Foundation and the pilots that make up the outreach arm have been working diligently to provide support to impoverished communities and specifically children that are in need. The goal is that when those jet-setting paraglider or hang glider pilots go to a location, they can support the communities they travel (food banks, clean drinking water, medical supplies, clothing, construction and building support) and create a better place once they've left it. If you are interested in learning more about the Cloudbase Foundation, go to their website at www.thecloudbasefoundation.org and we encourage you to look for it when you renew and consider supporting their efforts.
STUDENTS OR VISITING PILOTS WITH TEMPORARY MEMBERSHIPS (30-Days):
Available from USHPA certified Instructors
for 30 days of insurance coverage for lessons, passengers of Tandem Instructor flights (includes a Student rating), and Third Party Liability Insurance for International Visiting Pilots
along with their IPPI Cards (issued by a foreign hang gliding and paragliding organization).
All new memberships must be sent by US Mail with original signatures - Paper
. There are no group memberships at this time.
Members that have not yet allowed their membership to expire (start renewing 90 days before your membership expires) or are within 36 months of expiration may renew online
Memberships that have been lapsed for over 3 years (for your safety and the greater community) will require re-evaluation of ratings and special skills in order to retain those formerly awarded. We will be happy to send you a list of former ratings for your records. Members whose paperwork, including a signed waiver, is not in the USHPA HQ office are required to send paper documents as opposed to faxed, emailed or online methods of renewals. Online renewals are now extended to members whose memberships have been expired no longer than 36 months: renew online
Download the Membership Application and Waiver and return via fax, email, or mail: Form Membership Application with Waiver
Mail: USHPA, PO Box 1330, Colorado Springs, CO 80901
Express/UPS: USHPA, 1685 W Uintah Street, Colorado Springs, CO 80904
Fax: (719) 632-6417
USHPA offices are open M-F (8AM-5PM MST) | Phone: (800) 616-6888 | Email: email@example.com
*Dues Increase Jan 1, 2013:
The Board approved a membership dues increase at the October 2012 Board Meeting.
Effective January 1st, 2013:
- Dues for all classes of pilot memberships will increase by $24/year.
- The discount for family members in the same household drops to $18/year
- Subscriptions will increase by $8/year
Members with membership expiration dates through February, 2013 can renew at the older rates provided they renew online or postmark their renewal no later than Dec 31st. Members with March 2013 expirations and beyond are not eligible to renew at the 2012 rate.
Factors driving the increase
USHPA's dues have remained level for a number of years, notwithstanding increased operating costs. In 2012, USHPA's insurance premium effectively doubled due, in part, to increased claims activity. Insurance premium increases had been very modest for a number of years and the underwriters determined premiums weren't adequate to cover expected losses. The 2012 premium was absorbed by USHPA's operating reserves. USHPA's reserves aren't sufficient to cover the 2013 insurance premiums without a dues increase. Reducing the membership insurance benefits isn't a viable option.
USHPA is taking action to reduce future claims by increasing the focus on spectator and site safety. The steps being taken in cooperation with USHPA chapters at sites throughout the US should help improve our future claims rate. The emphasis on site safety will help to minimize future increases and keep our insurance program viable. While we hope that our efforts will improve future loss ratios, we don't expect our premiums to drop. The dues increase is based on our best estimate of insurance costs looking forward.
Inflation is the other factor that drives our dues rate up. Our last dues increase was in 2007, when we obtained instructor liability insurance coverage. Since then, inflation has steadily chewed away at our purchasing power. Dues rates over the life of our association are illustrated on the chart in the link below. The moving average shows that constant-dollar dues have remained fairly stable at around $75-$80 for many years. The 2007 dues increase was worth $84 in today's dollars. Inflation forecasts predict a rate around 1.8%, and we've used that figure for future estimates. Charts and budget info are available at https://www.ushpa.aero/member_financials.asp
or click here
USHPA is committed to managing its fiscal affairs in a manner that will keep the organization solvent and capable of providing the membership benefits we expect.
Mark Forbes, USHPA Treasurer